Moving Preparation Tips
- Contact The Perfect Plan™, your relocation specialist, about 6-8 weeks before you intend to move – we will create the perfect move plan for you!
- Start early!! The longer you wait to begin your move preparation process, the more costly your move will be and you will have less options.
- Contact a realtor. Put your home up for sale at least 3-4 months before you intend to move. Give yourself at least 1-2 weeks between your move date and the closing of the home you are departing. The Perfect Plan™ can help you select the right realtor for you!
- Do a floor plan of your new home. A floor plan will help you visually see what furniture will fit into your new space – The Perfect Plan™ can do this for you with creativity and an organized eye!
- Begin the sorting process for things you intend to downsize.
- Call The Perfect Plan™ to help sort and making the best recommendations for your unwanted items: auction, antique dealer, consignment, charity or items of non-value. We help you make the most money for your sellable belongings, and we do not profit from the sale of your belongings.
- Dispose of your unwanted items through appropriate channels.
- Will your family come to remove your unwanted items? If so, give them a deadline.
- Eat most of the food in your pantry and refrigerator. We recommend that you not shop in bulk purchase until after you move.
- Plan on giving away many of your houseplants. Most movers won’t take them so you’ll have to hand-carry the rest in your car.
- Notify the post-office and utilities of your move. Do your ‘change of address’ notices for all mail, newspapers and magazines.
- Pre-Pack some of your valuables: computer, silver, jewelry. Most people prefer to hand-carry these items, so be sure those boxes are clearly labeled for hand-carrying.
- Arrange for a pet-sitter. Pets get stressed on move day too. Plan on taking them to a friend’s house or putting them in the kennel for a day – it’ll be the best place for them.
- Prepare for your moving day:
- Keep all moving paperwork organized together; keep all home sale and home purchase paperwork together.
- Pack an overnight bag with one change of clothes, toiletries, medications, checkbook, glasses, keys (and a can-opener if you have a pet that eats canned food).
- Make arrangements to have lunch with family or friends on move day – and leave the details to us!! Moving day is hectic and fast-paced, along with dangerous as moving men are carrying your furniture. Why not enjoy the day and arrive to your new home well-rested?